Thursday, March 5, 2015

Exercise Diary: No excuses

I had planned to do my 2-miler today since I had nothing else on after work.  After I finished dinner, which I ate too much, I just sat there feeling and seeing the little mountain in front of me that we call a stomach and felt extremely sleepy.  And I just wanted to go to bed early and convert my dinner into fat.  I was telling a friend that I didn't want to go to the gym tonight because it's too cold out and I was too tired.

She didn't really comment, but paraphrased some of my outlooks back to me.  One of which was, do what you have set out to do and don't make any excuses.  And that hit me.  I do have that expectation for others, in that I get annoyed when people become lazy and make excuses for themselves.  And I realized that I was doing the same thing to myself.  I didn't really have an excuse to not go to the gym.  I had enough time to wait for my dinner to digest a bit, and I have a jacket and scarf and hat to ward off the cold.  The only thing I did not have was an excuse.

So I stood around for half an hour, put my gym clothes on, and went to the gym.  And I'm glad that I got my run out of the way, even though it felt long again.  What else is new.

The run felt long but not painful.  I think I had a hard time because I felt heavy, and therefore it felt like more work.  But all the pain I had before were gone.  I attribute this solely to all the Blogilates exercises I did for the past few days.  I did the day 3 beginner's total body workout after I got home from my run, and I swear I'm going to finish the 30 day calendar and then some.  I could already feel my muscles strengthening, heck I have been feeling them for days now.  My knees did not hurt probably because of all the leg muscles I worked.  My belly felt flabby because I could at the same time feel all the ab muscles I had worked on, which made all the fat felt even more prominent and unnecessary.  I breathed better and more controlled.  I wasn't as tired (even though it was only two miles).  And I didn't feel as terrible as I sped up during mile 2.  I have finally understood the benefit of cross training, and I now believe that cross training and muscle building are not only good for breaking the monotonous running routine but absolutely necessary for becoming a better runner.

So thank you Cassey, and please keep pushing me.  I'm only on Day 3 and it's already done me a world of wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment