Sunday, March 30, 2014

So much for the run


Today has been a very conflicting day of wanting to do yoga, failing to do yoga, going for a run, and gaining all the calories I burned by eating my way through a lot of food with my friend over dinner.

So I went for a run (at the school gym) yesterday morning after being cooped up all week.  Ideally I was supposed to go for a yoga class to give my legs a break.  Except my plan to make the 10am class completely went into shambles as I was unable to get myself up that early.  So after getting up at noon, I ended up going for a 25-minute run (again at the gym) to make up for my failure.

It was nice.  Spring is finally here.  I was able to go to the gym in my running capris and a light jacket.  I broke into a nice sweat, and was happy that my endurance is getting better and better.

And later in the afternoon I went shopping with my friend for our egg-tart making, movie-watching date.

We got a recipe from another friend for egg-tart, which the said friend had made for us several weeks before and was absolutely divine.  But the crust of the tart was a bitch to make so we started our first try today with trepidation.  It requires cake flour, bread flour (we used all-purpose instead), LOTS of butter, and plenty of patience.  The complete recipe is here if you want to give it a try (it's in Chinese).  I also made jalapeño bacon poppers from a Buzzfeed recipe.  It was super easy, delicious, and fattening.

So over Julie and Julia, which my friend hadn't seen, we had homemade garlic bread, beef stew, some stir fried veggies, my jalapeño poppers, and egg tart (one per each person since we were stuffed by that point).

So now I'm going to pop a few Prunelax pills (I don't do this on a regular basis, just when I feel that I have gone too far), watch a few episodes of Castle, and go to bed.  Will probably go for another run tomorrow.  I think I will restrict my yoga plans to once or twice a week from now on.  But we'll see how that goes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Egg tart.  Overall it came out pretty well.  The only problem was that the recipe called for 6 tarts with the amount of ingredient, but our cupcake pan must be too small because there was way too much crust dough per tart when it came to molding the dough.  In the end we had too much crust and a lot of leftover filling, which made us over-baking the tarts.  The crust was a big dry, and the tarts are HUGE. Still tastes good, but definitely room for improvement.

Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the jalapeño poppers.  It was super easy to make.  Just wrap a piece of bacon around half of a gutted, chive cream cheese-filled jalapeño, and bake until the bacons are crispy.  They are so good!




No comments:

Post a Comment